Biobedding separation operation tips
Tips from Valacon-Dairy
- A higher percentage of dry matter of the solid fraction is not necessarily better. Structure is the most important factor.
- Use the correct mesh size (about 0.75 mm). Too fine a mesh gives more fine organic matter in the bedding. This material is more compact, easier to hold moisture more readily, and may form a hard layer in the cubicle.
- For highly digestible rations, such as grass rations, the quantity of solid fraction produced per ton of manure is lower. However, the percentage of dry matter can be relatively high due to the large amount of fine material.
- A less well digested ration, such as a ration with maize silage gives coarser material in the slurry from which more solid fraction can be recovered.
- The transition from grass/maize to grass alone may reduce the production of solid fraction per hour by more than 50 %.
- Do not be too heavy on the separator. Energy consumption is then increased and there is more fine material in the solid fraction behind. He may get jammed!!
- Sometimes it is advisable to install a pebble trap and a cutting device to prevent jams caused by debris in the manure.